Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Elevation Stub Story




Recently in another blog entry I was talking  about footage that existed of particular shows. Right after that I found someone had uploaded a bunch of pretty descent bootleg footage of this concert. What I would call footage of a very historic show: U2’s first American concert after the tragic events of September 11th 2001. (Be sure and click on the song titles to see the footage below)

Found several Bootleg audio and video recordings as this show was simulcast on the internet
with your choice of cameras and the like
I didn't hear about the show until like the day before, and a quick internet search found what I can only assume were tickets that were just put on sale. I am guessing that with the particular design of the huge walkway out into the audience many seats were put on sale at the last minute. $85.00(plus $10 or more in fees!?) was kind of steep I suppose for my meager existence, but they were amazing seats. As I remember we were about half way back with only a railing in front of us to the main floor. The main floor was standing room general admission area. And then a huge heart shaped walkway came out into the general admission area. So when Bono or Edge came down the walkway on the left side facing the stage, they couldn't have been more than 20 – 30 feet away. But more so than the great seats was what an amazing, deeply visceral and cathartic show this was. I’ll copy and paste a few posts I had when I first found this footage: (sorry for the political commentary if you’re offended… but hey it is Bono after all;-) 
>>Opening song of the first show of the 2nd American leg of the 2001 tour. I was there. At one time the world stood with America. At one time, the whole world shared our grief, at one time almost every nation was on our side, and before Bush shone a bright spotlight on the left versus right, and drove a wedge down the middle of this country turning this nation against itself and the world, concerts like this were possible. As U2 landed on our shores in 2001 for the first time after Sept 11th and welcomed a hurting nation with such a moving concert that healing actually seemed possible.... it was a Beautiful Day. Until…well you know… Bush and Bombs:-(


>>How much fun is this? Great song with great fun. Just watched a little more and you can see the railing we were up against. As I described earlier the our "seats" were up above the general admission standing on the floor section(s), so around 3:51 you can see the railing, and a little more to the left, again just off frame, you can see just how close we were to them… right in front of us, having so much fun:-) We were so close I felt like introducing my date, “Julianne, Bono and Edge, Bono and Edge, Julianne…” 
“Until the End of the World”

 >>Ah now here you a go!!!... The Bono they love to hate lol… real political statement intro… mentioning efforts of Notre Dame and such, calling for an end to poverty etc.. and then introducing the 1st responders (later having them come on stage)… ...
… oh yeah and my favorite U2 song to boot!;-D 


>>Here’s the song they later turned into very large tributes in later videos and such which I saw evidence of on YouTube, but here in South Bend was their first tribute to these heroes from just a short month previous. And of course how can you not get political when you know that some of these very guys walking on the stage probably got sick from the debris and yet Republicans (the party of "No") blocked their aid just because it was something Obama was fighting for… no wonder this country is gridlocked. 


>>No matter what… you hafta agree this is a great cover….I know, I know…. a bit of a U2 overload I suppose… but even if you haven’t seen any of my South Bend collection of U2’s attempt at healing a wounded nation back in 2001, I would at least suggest this one. What an amazingly moving rock and roll cover of an r&b song! I had chills then, it gives me chills now… Too bad a certain administration did not agree that “…War is not the answer…”;-) (Later research showed this was the debut of this song on the tour; not only for the Sept 11th victims, but the band had already been working on it for Bono's work with AIDS in Africa.) 


That last one sums up was a incredible healing show that was… at one point Bono marched around the stage with an Irish and an American flag unfurled together and there much celebration!  (I know I wont be able to ad the videos of such songs in "my book" Who know how long the videos can stay up on YouTube for that matter lol... but as long as I have the chance for a multi-media experience... why not?...{#Biggrin})
Garbage was the opening act, and unfortunately my “date/friend” made us run late and only caught part of their show but having seen them open up for the Smashing Pumpkins a few years earlier the tiny little Shirley Mason still put on one BIG mean tight show, wishing once again I could see them in a whole concert and not just an intro to another band.{#Cool}

Here's U2's set-list for the evening: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/2001/joyce-center-south-bend-in-6bd6fee2.html

And here's Garbage's set-list http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/garbage/2001/joyce-center-south-bend-in-43d7eb8f.html

A little addendum as I just found this button that I bought this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment