Friday, March 14, 2014

Sanborn Stub Story

When I just recently learned of Hiram Bullock’s 2008 passing, the news greatly sadden me. Not only was he great musician, but actually having the opportunity to meet and talk to him briefly made me grieve on a personal level.

I’ve seen David Sanborn now on three different occasions but nothing compares to that first time at the Fort Wayne Embassy. Unfortunately this is one of those tickets I have filed under “Unknown” as the shortsighted design left my stub without a date. But seeing how this was basically the “Change of Heart” tour I’m assuming it was in 1987 at some point

My brother had educated me in a lot of my knowledge of jazz in the 80’s but long before he taught me who David Benoit or Fatburger was, I knew of the rock/jazz of David Sanborn, from his appearances on Letterman or scanning the linear notes of albums like The Eagle’s “Long Run” I knew Sanborn was a consummate musician. When DJ'ing I always even liked introducing “Young Americans” as a David Sanborn song  featuring vocals by David Bowie… So when I heard he was coming to Fort Wayne I jumped at the chance.

Yet once again this was ANOTHER example of not being able to find a date to a show.{#Boohoo} So one of my usual stand-by was my sister Linda, so I’m sure no words, non Top 40 jazz is waaay down on her musical preferences, but I think the amazing energy of that show, that CD, that night even affected her.
I remember at one point David looked around the beautiful Embassy theater and said, “You know… this is like playing inside of a big ornate jukebox…” {#Group-hug}And of course “Change of Heart” is such a great CD from it’s opening “Chicago” to it’s beautiful song “The Dream” ending, is it is superb all the way through. I still will try and squeeze “The Dream”  into a slow set at any wedding I DJ. A beautiful song ten times better than any Top 40 hit Kenny G ever stumbled into…
Fort Wayne EmbassyDuring the extended “Smile”… at one point Sanborn was belting out blasts of amazing notes only to be answered by blistering guitar riffs from Hiram, yet he was no where to be seen, until we realized that above our heads up in the balcony one leg up on the railing there he was having an awesome musical “give and take” with David on the stage{#Bananajam}… such incredible, fun energy. (You can see this same audience walk..and ‘balcony hang’… exchange, beginning at his solo right at 45:00 into the show I provide the link for at the end here.)

After the show, not needing to impress any date with a fancy dinner or anything, my sister and I simply went to a nearby McDonalds’ and as we were walking back to the car I noticed a small gathering of people behind the Embassy, and right then I could see Sanborn and several other musicians including Hiram walking out the back door so with a slight detour across the street we walked up as he was talking and signing autographs, I quickly grabbed my ticket stub and handed it to him, but as a novice autograph hound I had to borrow a pen from someone else but he waited graciously for me to awkwardly bum a pen, then signed the back of my ticket. When I noticed Hiram, I pointed out he was wearing shoes. (As pretty much a full-time member of Letterman’s band for several years, he was the brunt of Letterman's in jest ridicule of him for almost never wearing shoes…) Hiram laughed, and said, “Yeah gotta wear em’ sometimes…”
And so learning of his bout with cancer and other health problems which finally did him in... I will always remember the absolutely amazing show that he a David put on for Fort Wayne in 1987. I found this German TV show clip from the same year and you’ll get a fraction of an idea of what it was like to be there in the audience that night.

http://youtu.be/QFJ7W2GanCE (if you don't have time for the whole show check out 37:50 for "Smile" beginning or Hiram's solo at 45:00)

1 comment:

  1. I found a mention on a sight called Concert Archives and it mentions Aug 27, 1987
    David Sanborn in Indianapolis at the Sports and Music Center. So I'm guessing either the day before or after?

    ReplyDelete